Principal Research Scientist (Liver Biology)
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking a highly motivated Principal Scientist to lead model development for liver diseases in the Molecular & Cell Biology group in San Diego. The scientist will develop and validate translational human liver cell and disease models, with a focus on primary human hepatocytes, to advance high-impact drug discovery programs.
The ideal candidate will leverage in-depth conceptual knowledge in liver biology and related disciplines to develop and integrate hepatocyte culture systems and liver disease modeling platforms. Day to day duties will include designing and executing experiments to optimize primary human hepatocyte 2D and 3D culture, pioneer innovative disease models, and characterize models using genomic, functional, and imaging techniques. Additional activities include analyzing data, summarizing learnings, communicating them to project and leadership teams, as well as building alignment on the path forward.
The candidate requires excellent communication and organizational skills to succeed in a fast-paced, collaborative laboratory environment. This is an onsite position in San Diego.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Designs and performs sophisticated, technically challenging experiments, efficiently and independently.
- Generates effective hypotheses to pursue Project goals and set new experimental directions.
- Makes substantive conceptual contributions to Project activities and scientific strategies.
- Develops novel and creative solutions to overcome Project goal obstacles.
- Identifies broad implications to findings, which transcend the immediate experiment.
Required Education Level
- Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines and 4-7 years of relevant post-doctoral employment experience, or
- Masters Degree (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines and 7+ years of relevant employment experience, or
- Bachelors Degree (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines and 10+ years of relevant employment experience
- Significant experience in human liver biology and hepatocyte culture optimization.
- Recognized expert of in vitro or ex vivo human liver culture conditions.
- Recognized expert in developing and validating pioneering human liver disease models.
- Demonstrated scientific creativity leading to patentable research methods.
- Excellent communicating skills conveying complex science and building alignment.
- Desire to transform disease treatment via innovative science.
Salary range: $136,000 - $204,000
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.