Associate Director, Materials Management
In June 2019, Vertex announced the establishment of a new research site in the Boston area where research, development, and clinical manufacturing for cell and genetic therapies will be primarily based. Cell and genetic therapies represent two rapidly emerging therapeutic modalities with the potential to treat—and even cure—several of the diseases Vertex is focused on, including sickle cell disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and type 1 diabetes.
Vertex is seeking an Associate Director Site Materials Management to head up all site materials management activities to support our growing VCGT programs. The position will be based in Boston, MA with travel to Cambridge and Providence as needed. The role be a key part of the VCGT Site Materials Leadership Team and the site leadership team, reporting directly into the Director of Supply Chain, VCGT.
The role is responsible for setup and management of the site supply chain organization at our Boston, Cambridge, and Providence cell and gene therapy development and manufacturing facilities.
This role will partner closely with colleagues across Vertex to ensure the seamless site supply chain support required to execute operational strategies. This role will also collaborate with the Global VCGT Supply Chain organization (planning, vendor management, systems, supply chain leads) to ensure supply chain program strategy aligns with operational capabilities. This role will require a strategic thinker who is able to negotiate conversations and drive performance across multiple levels of the org. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as supply chain lead for materials support for all VCGT internal manufacturing sites, collaborating with the partnering site leaders (Manufacturing, Process Development, Research, QA, AD/QC, Facilities, etc). Contribute to overall strategic development of the site SC function, including working with other cross functional leaders. Develop, mentor, and lead a high functioning materials management team. Manage team to enable multi shift support, as needed.
- Set materials management goals, budget for warehousing and requirements, process, and KPIs. Facilitate, measure, and drive quality inspection lead times. Meet materials management financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Manage ERP systems ensuring proper lot genealogy though batch creation and governance. Lead strategic planning and implementation of Materials Management projects, including process mapping, master data management and creation of Materials Management modules for the Enterprise Resource Planning System (e.g., Oracle)
- Collaborate and leverage VCGT global planning, procurement, and systems to develop materials management functions that integrate with global functions. Identify any risks to plant startup or future scale up plans that exist in supply chain
- Ensure a GMP compliant and operational materials management organization. Lead implementation of compliance-focused initiatives and serve as Materials Management lead for regulatory inspections.
- Manage 3PL network to optimize incoming shipments and internal warehouse capacity.
- Drive continuous improvement of the materials movement, warehouse level optimization, kitting, and Kanban processes
- Oversight of additional Materials Management areas as group grows.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with 8+ years of related work experience in Pharma
- Experience leading teams at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant
- Strong knowledge with GMP materials management and FDA Regulations.
- Experience setting up inventory management systems (ERP)
- Experience setting up site strategic plans and prioritizing needs
- Experience representing Supply Chain in Regulatory Inspections.
- Expert understanding of GMPs across supply chain activities
- Strong communication skills and agility
- Experience working with validated systems and GMP environments
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.