Government Accounts Lead - Pain BU, West
Government Accounts Lead, US Pain Business Unit
Vertex is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Government Accounts Lead to join our US Pain Business Unit to support our journey to bring forth new options for the treatment of pain. The Government Accounts Lead will be part of the strategic accounts field team for the US Pain Business Unit, which is preparing for potential commercialization of an investigational novel selective inhibitor of NaV1.8 in acute pain. We are seeking a candidate who has a strong track record of engaging key DoD and VA decision-makers to drive access and use of innovative pain medicines. The Government Accounts Lead will report to the US Pain Strategic Accounts Area Leader.
For more information about Vertex’s pain program, visit https://www.vrtx.com/research-development/pipeline/pain/. To learn more about working at Vertex and our commitment to a vibrant and inclusive culture, visit https://www.vrtx.com/working-here/inclusion-diversity-equity/.
- Develop engagement strategy and account plans to help ensure appropriate success within assigned VA and DoD accounts
- Engage with DoD and VA leadership, formulary decision makers, and other population health stakeholders to ensure timely access, support appropriate product uptake, drive systemic change, and pursue creative and compliant collaborations
- Coordinate account engagement activities compliantly across the regional team, including aligned territory account managers, regional leaders, payer account directors, virtual sales representatives, regional medical field, HEOR, and government affairs/policy and alliance colleagues
- Act as a central communication point for customers to ensure efficient and effective information flow
- As a core member of the VA/DOD planning team, execute account management model and identify opportunities for best in class, enterprise level engagement to ensure access and drive top-down demand
- Identify and execute a high level of personal engagement activities and digital and innovative approaches to customer engagement, and engage Vertex leaders as appropriate in direct account interactions
- Partner with internal stakeholders including Market Access, Sales, Marketing, Compliance, Legal, Field Operations, HR, and others to provide strategic field insights to evolve the Go-To-Market Plan
- Role model ethics and integrity in the work you do to support our culture of compliance and earn trust with external stakeholders
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of experience in healthcare/biopharmaceuticals in account management, sales, market access or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- 5 + years of experience in account management for Government Accounts (VA/DOD), including deep knowledge of key VA/DOD accounts and existing relationships at top VISN/VA/DOD facilities
- Former military experience preferred
- Expertise in DoD and VA stakeholders, with knowledge of both access and demand levers
- Excellent professional and strategic account management skills
- Understanding of clinical and economic trends driving decision making in current healthcare market
- Excellent executive level customer service and communication skills
- Strong account planner, ability to apply critical thinking to focus time to maximize impact
- Demonstrated understanding of the legal, regulatory, and compliance environment
- Strong understanding of and ability to analyze account level economics and budgetary impact
- Entrepreneurial spirit to develop innovative approaches to enable launch through data and technology
- Travel Requirements: Field based with significant travel (~80%)
Pay range is $166,000 – $250,000 annually
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role may also be eligible for commission, fleet or car allowance and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.