Associate Director, Global Laboratory Operations
The Associate Director of Laboratory Operations is responsible for Lab Services and Instrumentation across all non-GxP and mixed use (non-GxP and GxP) sites. This role matrix manages internal site Lab Operations management staff as well as directly oversees the program management of third-party vendors to drive enterprise-wide laboratory standards, best-practices, and oversee projects for the Global Lab Operations team, with a focus on process and continuous improvement. Excellent communications, organization skills, and creativity in problem solving are required for success in this position.
- Programmatic management of all outsourced services for Lab Operations across non-GxP and mixed use (non-GxP and GxP) sites.
- Primary business owner for RFPs of outsourced services for Laboratory Operations across non-GxP and mixed use (non-GxP and GxP) sites.
- Lead Global Laboratory Operations in developing support strategies and facilitate alignment and implementation of processes and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Represent Operations, serving as the primary point of contact for the Lab of Our Future team to ensure the strategic direction and implementation roadmap is in alignment with Operations stakeholders.
- Develop and manage global implementation and maintenance of a best-in-class laboratory operations plan focusing on maintenance best practices, effective planning and scheduling and asset life-cycle management.
- Develop and standardize cross-site workflows, KPI’s, metrics and documentation and training.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for laboratory instrumentation and laboratory operations.
- Make programmatic improvements based on Laboratory Operations data including the use and management of consumables, chemicals, media, and equipment.
- Optimize outsourced services agreements and global business processes to create mechanisms for increasing the value provided and potential for efficiencies/savings.
- Oversee global budget allocation to promote realization of cost efficiencies/savings.
- Drive customer satisfaction and customer collaboration.
- Prioritize the resource allocation for both global and site-specific projects with the overall budget for Global Lab Operations.
- Identify, analyze, prioritize, communicate, and mitigate project risks on behalf of Global Lab Operations to all senior science leadership teams.
- Oversee or directly manage multiple projects simultaneously to successful outcomes.
- Track all site budgets and actuals (leveraging both Vertex and Outsourced Services management), providing accurate quarterly forecast updates with supporting details to Operations and Facilities management and the relevant Finance business partners.
- Support site teams to implement projects and services with optimal efficiency, on time and within budget.
- Develop effective global partnerships and work collaboratively with business partners (R&D, PMO, Facilities, Security, HR, Finance, EHS&S, Legal, IT, Corporate Communications, etc.).
- Plan and manage broad internal and external project communications, ensuring effective and timely exchange of project information, expectations, and deliverables.
- Provide and promote high standards of professionalism, integrity, and leadership, both within and outside the organization, appropriately representing Vertex core values, business philosophies, protocols, and standards.
- Cultivate change and innovation by seeking opportunities to strengthen and improve existing services and operations.
TECHNICAL AND COMMUNICATIVE SKILLS:
- Build and maintain strong, cross-functional relationships with key senior stakeholders and be a trusted team leader.
- Work at a fast pace on multiple projects of a critical nature.
- Committed team player comfortable in a matrixed hierarchy.
- Strong understanding of operations principles and practices.
- Proven track record of surpassing objectives and delivering exceptional results.
- Ability to guide and influence members of teams
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) required
- Master’s degree preferred
- 14+ years of relevant work experience
- Proven managerial experience
- Pharma / Bio-tech experience required
- Prior experience with developing budgets and controlling costs
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.