Intern Computational Genomics - Single-Cell RNA-Seq
The Vertex Internship Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our internship program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are relentless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their project plan, connect with other interns, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will interns learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams.
We are seeking a computational biologist to join Vertex for an internship experience this summer in the Computational Genomics group in the Data and Computational Sciences department. We are looking for exceptional candidates to assist with early-stage research on active drug discovery programs. The summer internship will include analysis of next-generation sequencing (NGS) data, for example single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) or bulk RNA sequencing (RNA-seq) data. The candidate will collaborate with cross-functional project teams and communicate results that will have an impact on the development of cutting-edge, transformative therapies.
- Apply existing computational pipeline and create custom scripts to analyze and visualize in-house and publicly available single-cell RNA-seq and/or bulk RNA-seq data
- Interpret results and translate data into biological insights
- Present research findings to cross-functional teams, including computational and wet-lab scientists
- The candidate will interface with colleagues in other departments and other Vertex sites (UK, San Diego)
- Currently enrolled in an MS or PhD program majoring in computational biology, bioinformatics, biology, genetics, or a related field with some experience in the use or development of computational biology methods
- Hands-on experience with NGS data analysis using at least one of Python or R
- Experience with scRNA-seq analysis is a plus
- Familiarity with high-performance computing systems
- Experience with basic statistical and data visualization methods
- Proven technical proﬁciency and demonstrated skill in planning and interpreting genomics data
- Effective communicator (written and verbal), especially within areas of expertise
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
This job posting is for a temporary role with a third-party agency partner that provides services to Vertex. The individual selected for this role will be offered the role as an employee of that third-party agency; compensation, medical benefits, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment shall be presented by the third-party agency upon offer.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.