Global Commercial Strategy Associate Director - Early Pipeline
The Global Commercial Strategy Associate Director - Early Pipeline will play a pivotal role in defining, leading, and supporting global commercial strategy initiatives for Vertex’s early pipeline. This role will partner cross-functionally to a) identify new disease areas for Vertex, b) assess the commercial potential of external opportunities and c) provide commercial strategy for Vertex’s early pipeline.
This dynamic and high-profile role will play an important part in setting the strategic direction of Vertex’s early pipeline. This is a hybrid/on-site role based in Boston, MA.
- Lead the commercial assessments of new disease areas, targets, and platforms, working closely with Research, Development, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Business Development, Finance and Pricing & Market Access
- Identify new disease candidates for Vertex Pipeline and determine if they merit proposal for inclusion in the Pipeline
- Contribute to BD assessments and represent Commercial during due diligence
- Co-lead commercial strategy (with Global Pricing & Market Access) for Vertex’s early pipeline programs, including representing Commercial at the early Disease Strategy Team
- Develop strong partnerships with functional team members to support business goals
- Direct development and implementation of strategic and tactical plans for early pipeline
- Generate and consolidate key stakeholder insights through market research, ad boards, etc.
- Support long-range planning, including insights, assumptions and slide development
- In-depth knowledge of the drug research and development process and the regulatory, reimbursement and commercial environments
- Strategic thinker who possesses both solid business acumen and the ability to look beyond the current state to identify unique opportunities
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and making clear recommendations
- Ability to oversee insights generation and application of insights to business problems/opportunities
- Strong analytical mindset with ability to simplify and synthesize complex ideas/concepts to highlight relevant opportunities
- Adept at handling multiple projects and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and manage initiatives that require cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to contribute positively to a team and help lead a culture of collaboration and teamwork
- Strong communication, presentation delivery, and interpersonal skills to be effective in teams
- Bachelor’s degree required, Advanced degree preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in life science consulting or the biopharmaceutical industry, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in healthcare, finance, scientific research will also be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and manage initiatives that require collaboration across multiple functional areas
- Strong quantitative analytical skills (e.g., Excel modeling)
- Strong qualitative research skills (e.g., telephone interviews)
- Executive presence, leadership skills, and a proven track record of successfully leading and influencing individuals and teams
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company working to transform the lives of people with serious diseases
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.