Intern Protein Science
The Vertex Internship Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our internship program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are relentless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their project plan, connect with other interns, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will interns learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams.
Internship position to join our Protein Sciences team. The team uses integrative approaches to identify and characterize new biding sites / modes of action for small molecule drug discovery. The intern will have an opportunity to work with biochemists, biophysicists, and structural biologists within the team, and to design and execute experiments to characterize small molecule / protein interactions.
Under supervision of Research Scientist, responsibilities will:
- Purify proteins expressed in eukaryotic cells to support structural biology efforts and biophysical characterization.
- Determine binding affinity (Kd) for small molecules by Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) and Affinity selection mass spectrometry (AS/MS).
- Perform protein biophysical characterization (eg. Fluorescence Size Exclusion Chromatography (fSEC), Thermal melt assays)
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Major in Biology, Biochemistry, or Chemistry.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and to interact closely with other scientists within the Protein Science group.
- Basic knowledge of standard molecular biology and / protein chemistry techniques is a plus, but more important is an open mindset and willingness to learn.
- Attention to detail, ability to accurately follow protocols and a “can-do” attitude.
- Strong communication and organization skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Candidate must be enrolled in an advanced degree program if graduating Spring 2024
Program Dates: June-September 2024, Full Time
Pay Range $20.00 – $25.00 USD/hour
This job posting is for a temporary role with a third-party agency partner that provides services to Vertex. The individual selected for this role will be offered the role as an employee of that third-party agency; compensation, medical benefits, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment shall be presented by the third-party agency upon offer. The range provided is a reasonable estimate for the pay range for this job at the time of posting. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. The actual pay rate will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.