Research Intern, Engineering & Applied Physics
The Vertex Internship Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our internship program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are relentless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their project plan, connect with other interns, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will interns learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams.
We are a small cohesive and fast-moving team of Engineers and Scientists that design and deploy custom instruments for Vertex internal use which helps in giving our organization competitive advantage.
We are seeking a Research Intern to help us develop our internal “Acoustics” abilities. We would like to research phased array technology with applications in ultrasonics. We will be looking into developing our own ultrasonic phased array transducers and electronic control hardware for Biotech applications.
We would like for the candidate to be a self-starter and be really motivated to study and research the physics of ultrasonics. Duties would include researching, designing, developing, building, programming and giving frequent updates of progress.
- Research into alternate applications of Ultrasonic Technology, such as levitation: object/fluid/bead/cell capture.
- Research and design of a “Phased Array” ultrasonic system for the elimination of acoustic lens, capability of variable droplet volumes and multidirectional scan and dispense without mechanical stages.
- Explore developing our own Electro Magnetic Acoustic Transduction (EMAT) as a possible transducer.
We are looking for a capable candidate. One that is fearless and able to push hard. Some of the experience that would be helpful:
- Physics, Piezo ceramics,
- Arduino/embedded programming, wiring, soldering
- ECAD/MCAD software, acoustics, ultrasonics, optics, amplifiers, electronics, surface mount, schematic capture, transducers, oscilloscopes, function generators, SolidWorks, Altium, etc.
- Strong understanding of Physics.
- Able to program/build and test electronic setups.
- Proficient with electronics and electronic lab tools.
- Ph.D. Student in- Physics, Physical Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Bioengineering, Computer science with strong hardware capabilities or other relevant fields.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Candidate must be enrolled in an advanced degree program if graduating in Spring 2024
Program Dates: June-September 2024, Full Time
Pay Range $30.00 – $50.00 USD/hour
This job posting is for a temporary role with a third-party agency partner that provides services to Vertex. The individual selected for this role will be offered the role as an employee of that third-party agency; compensation, medical benefits, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment shall be presented by the third-party agency upon offer. The range provided is a reasonable estimate for the pay range for this job at the time of posting. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. The actual pay rate will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.