Regional Field Leader - Pain BU, Northwest
Regional Field Leader, US Pain Business Unit
Vertex is seeking experienced and talented commercial leaders to join our US Pain Business to support our journey to bring forth new options for the treatment of pain. The Regional Field Leader, Associate Director will be responsible for the oversight of one of the eighteen geographic regions across three area teams for the US Pain Business Unit, which is preparing for potential commercialization of an investigational novel selective inhibitor of NaV1.8 in acute pain. We are looking for candidates with a strong track record of delivering exceptional results, establishing a strong team culture that aligns with Vertex values, and developing deep strategic account relationships. Regional Leaders will lead a team of 8-10 pain territory account managers and report into one of our three Area Field Leaders, Senior Directors.
This is a field-based position in the Northwest (Northern California, Northern Nevada, Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon) - The successful candidate must live within the identified territory near an airport and be willing to travel routinely based on business needs.
For more information about Vertex’s pain program, visit https://www.vrtx.com/research-development/pipeline/pain/. To learn more about working at Vertex and our commitment to a vibrant and inclusive culture, visit https://www.vrtx.com/working-here/inclusion-diversity-equity/.
- Leads the build of their Regional Pain Territory Account Management team, including recruiting, hiring and retaining a high performing team that drives results while living the Vertex values
- Establishes clear business plans, metrics, and goals for your region and motivates team to deliver results
- Supports business goals while never losing site of patients by leveraging data analytics and field insights and providing strategic guidance to the Pain Territory Account Managers
- Guides the timely and appropriate management of strategic account plans, supporting the field team in the establishment and pull through of formulary, pathway, and protocol placement within selected institutions
- Understands multiple interdependencies within institutional accounts and builds informed, long-term account relationships
- Works closely with internal cross-functional stakeholders, including the US Pain Marketing Team, to shape approaches that drive performance
- Creates a positive and collaborative team culture, coaching the pain territory account managers to develop goals to positively impact outcomes for patients
- Partners compliantly with other field team members and headquarters colleagues to proactively analyze and address customer needs, market dynamics, and trends that support brand and portfolio objectives
- Ensures the achievement of assigned forecast by optimizing team performance through coaching, support, development, and driving a winning culture.
- Role models ethics and integrity in the work that you do to support our culture of compliance and earn trust with external stakeholders
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of experience in healthcare/biopharmaceuticals in marketing, or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- 10+ years of supervisory/management experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Hospital customer engagement experience, including leading institutional sales teams
- Experience in strategic account management (SAM), including the proven ability to lead teams in navigate institutions and health systems to engage formulary management and pharmaceutical product review, to gain product access and impact key decision makers and affiliated community prescribers
- Experience in leading the pull through of inpatient formularies , protocols, pathways, and order sets
- Experience in launching new products preferred
- Fosters the highest level of teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to proactively think of creative solutions to achieve desired results when faced with barriers, engaging with appropriate team members and escalating issues effectively
- Demonstrated understanding of the legal, regulatory, and compliance environment, ability to model expected behavior for the team and shape policies
- Travel Requirements: ~80% of the time including mostly field travel with trips to our Boston headquarters
Pay range is $164,000 - $246,000 annually
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role may also be eligible for commission, fleet or car allowance and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.