Co-op Automation Engineer, SDT1D Cell and Gene Therapy
The Vertex Co-op Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our co-op program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are relentless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their project plan, connect with other co-ops, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will co-ops learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams.
As a member of the Process Engineering and Device Manufacturing group at the San Diego Type I Diabetes facility, the engineer will support the team dedicated to process development, implementation, and validation of automation solutions to improve and scale up the combination product manufacturing process. Under direction and supervision, the engineer shall test operating parameters, develop process scripts, write and execute engineering protocols, document reports, and other elements necessary to test and qualify equipment. This role will develop an understanding of the manufacturing and development processes in order to assist manufacturing and improve efficiencies through automation enhancements.
- Test equipment operating parameters and refine process for automated filling scale-out.
- Translate manufacturing process steps into the equipment program by developing and writing program scripts for equipment operation.
- Participate in automation equipment identification, design, and purchasing for future scale-up
- Work to identify continuous improvement opportunities and participate in driving them from conception through implementation.
- Support daily operations, commissioning, and validation activities while working in cross-functional teams
- Present test data and findings to internal and larger cross-functional team
- Pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field in the junior or senior year of college, or pursing graduate studies.
- Familiar with programming or coding and experience creating XML-based file formats.
- Experience with cell culture techniques preferred.
- Written and verbal communication skills to exchange straight forward information and confirm understanding
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
- Candidate must be enrolled in an advanced degree program if graduating in January 2024
Pay Range $20.00 – $35.00 USD/hour
This job posting is for a temporary role with a third-party agency partner that provides services to Vertex. The individual selected for this role will be offered the role as an employee of that third-party agency; compensation, medical benefits, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment shall be presented by the third-party agency upon offer. The range provided is a reasonable estimate for the pay range for this job at the time of posting. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. The actual pay rate will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.