Associate Director, FP&A - BSMO Finance
The Associate Director, FP&A - BSMO Finance is a key member of Vertex's Financial Planning & Analysis organization, providing financial direction and strategic insights to functional leaders. Supporting the Biopharmaceutical Sciences and Manufacturing Operations (BSMO) organization, this role will drive development and improvement of consolidated financial reporting, analytics and financial modeling for BSMO. This role will provide business partnering support across BSMO, including leading the BSMO capital expense planning process.
This position is based in our Boston, MA office, located in the Seaport area. This role requires a hybrid work schedule: 3 days in office & 2 days remote on a weekly basis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides financial direction and strategic insight to BSMO functional leaders. Helps to define and deliver against short term and long-term goals, including identification of key value drivers and Business KPIs.
- Leads the capital expense financial management process for BSMO, partnering with Strategic Sourcing and key members of the business.
- Partners with BSMO functional leaders and finance team members to help lead the annual budget, monthly forecasting and long-range planning process to provide meaningful forward-looking direction, to develop key scenarios, and to identify key risks/uncertainties and plans for potential mitigation.
- Develops and maintains financial models for long-range planning and evaluate scenarios and impact to program assumption changes.
- Builds analytics and transparent reporting to drive forecast accuracy.
- Supports the BSMO monthly/quarterly accounting close for expenses and accruals, including flux analysis and compliance with SOX control requirements.
- Coordinates with other members of the CFO organization including Corporate Finance, DST Finance, Strategic Sourcing and Accounting to maintain a continuous improvement mindset and promote strong communication and efficient processes.
- Serves as the primary BSMO finance liaison to Corporate Finance for systems and process improvement initiatives.
- Partners with Human Resources on Headcount reporting, forecasting and planning.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry, business partnering with an executive team.
- Strong skills demonstrated in MS Office and financial software applications, including Hyperion.
- Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills necessary for daily interaction with senior management, as well as business partners and peers within Finance.
- Ability to lead and drive change in a developing business environment, coordinating processes involving large numbers of people, complex systems, and tight deadlines across multiple time zones.
- Capability to pro-actively participate in managing within a cross-cultural matrix organization.
- Strong analytical and financial skills to evaluate a broad range of financial questions—especially portfolio analysis, valuation, ROI/ROIC, and complex business questions.
- Capacity to understand the pharmaceutical industry to address a broad range of challenges and business issues globally across all functions with the ability to make and facilitate quick decisions.
- Possesses a continuous improvement mindset, with flexibility and ability to adapt to change.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting or an equivalent qualification.
- Typically requires 8 to 10 years experience in a finance managerial role demonstrating strong technical and analytical skills or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A track record of success working in a team-based environment.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.