Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry Competitive Intelligence
The Research Competitive Intelligence Principal Scientist is responsible for becoming a disease area expert. This role is to maintain active diligence of the disease area landscape and work cross-functionally and collaborate on internal assessments. Responsibilities include the synthesis of small molecule targets within a project, thorough analysis of external publications (papers and patents), potential management of outsourced chemists, and cross-functional competitive intelligence alignment for the Disease Strategy Team. The individual for this position needs to be consistent, creative, and connect the dots quickly.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain active diligence of the disease area landscape (preclinical and clinical)
- Designs and executes more complex, challenging chemistry experiments
- Research external intellectual property relevant to Project(s) and areas of pursuit
- Alert Vertex programs of advancements/competition in the field
- Maintain disease area information databases
- Represents the voice of research competitive intelligence for their project in cross-functional meetings
- Contributes substantively to patent and publication preparation
- Distills complicated, multidimensional data to clear hypotheses and new experimental directions
- Designs and conducts elaborate, conceptually connected, chemistry experiments
- Use internal project knowledge to design novel compounds
- Prioritizes own studies within Projects and balances activities across Projects effectively
- “Multi-tasks” to a modest degree and effectively manages his/her efforts on multiple targets or themes
- Scours relevant scientiﬁc literature within ﬁeld and surveys broadly beyond own discipline/ﬁeld
- “Imports” new principles/concepts from other ﬁelds to develop useful new experimental approaches
- Performs other duties as assigned
Experience and Education:
- PhD and 4-7 years, a Master's and 7+ years, a Bachelor's and 10+ years, or the equivalent combination of education and experience related to Chemistry or related science
- Demonstrates astute understanding of his/her own discipline and the relevant literature
- Maintains a deep and broad knowledge of relevant science beyond own discrete ﬁeld(s)
- Demonstrates increased ﬂuency in new ﬁelds and projects more quickly and generally handles “multi-tasking” better
- Displays greater ability to productively disseminate ideas across discipline- and Project-boundaries
- Communicates effectively in verbal presentations and in writing technical reports
- Strong scientific understanding of early R&D processes
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong Ethics
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.