Director, HCP Marketing - US Pain BU
Vertex is seeking a talented leader to join our US Pain Business Unit to support our journey to redefine the treatment of pain with the first new mechanism of action in decades. The Director, US Pain HCP Marketing will lead HCP marketing team for the US Pain Business Unit alongside a small team of direct reports, which is preparing for potential commercialization of an investigational novel selective inhibitor of NaV1.8 in acute pain. This role will drive the evolution and implementation of our innovative go to market model, supporting the launch through a lean in person presence supplemented by robust digital engagement. This individual will delivers materials that will augment the efforts of our institution focused in person field team and influence HCPs that we do not engage personally particularly in the community setting. We are seeking a candidate that has a strong track record in US commercial roles, demonstrated success in coaching teammates, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovation-focused environment. This role reports to the Senior Director of Marketing for the US Pain Business Unit.
For more information about Vertex’s pain program, visit https://www.vrtx.com/research-development/pipeline/pain/. To learn more about working at Vertex and our commitment to a vibrant and inclusive culture, visit https://www.vrtx.com/working-here/inclusion-diversity-equity/.
- Leads the HCP marketing team (team of 2-4), coaching the team to deliver exceptional results and operate as a high performing team
- Shapes the brand strategy including the HCP campaign to ensure messages resonate in a market with limited innovation and lacking trust to change engrained behaviors around treatment practices
- Drives tactical execution including brand planning and creative efforts, managing agency to ensure on budget and timely deliverables and partnering closely with communications review committee
- Advances a strategic approach to channel placement, including driving regular test and learn pilots on HCP targeting (e.g., geo and IP targeting) and placement (e.g., social, educational sites, etc)
- Leads data and tech efforts to support product uptake including CRM software and marketing automation tools, working closely with our data and tech teams (DTE, GIACO, DSS)
- Measures the impact of our initiatives based on ROI and agilely pivot our investments to maximize impact, constantly look for opportunities for automation and efficiency
- Partners with program lead to design, implement, and communicate effective e-sampling program and communicate patient support offerings
- Shapes and implements our key thought leader strategy and seeks deeper understanding of the market landscape to shape the future of the acute pain market & Vertex’s role within it
- Develops strong partnerships with cross-functional teams to support business goals and engage above role including close partnership with the field, patient, disease education and program counterparts, serving as a peer leader on the marketing leadership and launch readiness teams
- Role models and instills a culture of compliance focused on ethics and integrity in all we do
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of educational/work experience in healthcare/biopharmaceuticals in marketing, consulting or agency in, or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- 3+ years of supervisory/management experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience developing communications/tactics in U.S. or global marketing and managing agency efforts
- Experience driving brand campaigns, ability to oversee generation of insights, and apply those insights to business problems/opportunities
- Experience leading teams, coaching individuals and creating excellent team culture
- Entrepreneurial spirit and courage to challenge the status quo to develop innovative and focused approaches to enable launch through data and technology, regular measurement of results and pivoting based on our test and learn strategy
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to connect with senior leaders as well as more varied large audiences
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative and results-driven environment within a growing business unit where we are concurrently learning & building as we drive towards product launch
- Demonstrated understanding of the legal, regulatory, and compliance requirements for pre- and post-approval activities and ability to model expected behavior for the team
- Travel Requirements: Ability to travel 20-30%
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.