Executive Director, Exploratory Biology
The Vertex Biology group is seeking a creative, visionary leader to join a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families, and society. This role will be located at our research site in San Diego, CA. This individual will lead efforts designing and executing on strategies to identify new therapeutic approaches for serious diseases. This is a highly visible role, providing the individual with an excellent opportunity to work closely with global research colleagues and to make a significant impact.
- Think strategically and consider ways to establish internal capabilities to discover novel therapeutics for the treatment of severe diseases
- Lead the team to identify disease indications and approaches
- Establish proof of concept experiments to validate the proposed treatment option
- Interact with internal stakeholders from varied backgrounds such as commercial, clinical, regulatory, etc. to build the strategy for the proposed disease and approach
- Interact with strategic partners to design and execute on specific project needs
- Lead a team of highly experienced and accomplished scientists
- Build strong scientific collaborations with external groups within both the academic and industrial sectors
- Build strong cross-functional collaborations between different research project teams and functions
- Drive communication between scientists of vastly different scientific backgrounds such as engineering, physics, bioinformatics, data science, experimental biology and chemistry
- Ensure effective interaction between exploratory biology and other disciplines within Research and Development
- Lead and/or contribute to cross-site and cross-functional goals within Vertex
- MD and/or PhD in Biology, or a related field
- 15+years of proven industry experience in leading efforts for new target identification of first in class drug candidates entering clinical trials
- In depth understanding of drug discovery process
- Experience in leading PhD level scientists
- Extraordinary scientific capacity and expertise, and a demonstrated track record of value creation
- A results-oriented leader with a sense of urgency to deliver quality results in a highly ethical and professional manner.
- Motivational leadership of a cohesive high-performing team within a global, matrixed environment; the ability to articulate vision and successfully drive execution
- Track record of managing and influencing at a senior level
- A high degree of self-motivation, curiosity, organization, communication, and presentation skills; high competence in solving complex problems, as well as the ability to navigate a fast-paced cross-functional and collaborative work environment
- Strong commitment to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Salary range: $256,000 - $384,000 annually
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law. At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.