HEOR Director, US & Canada - Launch Lead (Pain)
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking a Director, Pain, to join the North America Health Economics & Outcomes Research (HEOR) team to develop and execute on the HEOR strategy and related tactics to support the commercialization of VX-548 and subsequent investigational therapies in the pipeline for treating acute and chronic pain in the United States (US) and Canada. Initially, this person will focus on leading and executing on the HEOR strategy for launching VX-548 for acute pain in the US. This person will work in a highly cross-functional matrix team environment, serving as the North America HEOR lead for Pain and interfacing with Market Access, Public Affairs, as well as Medical teams, to develop and execute on a seamless plan for communicating the holistic value of Vertex’s pain therapies throughout their product lifecycle to various stakeholders including payers and policymakers. This person is expected to exhibit a strong sense of urgency to achieve corporate objectives while maintaining the highest ethical, regulatory and scientific standards. This position reports to the Head of North America HEOR and will be responsible for hiring and managing a direct report.
- Represent HEOR at US cross-functional launch teams
- Develop and execute on a cross-functionally aligned HEOR plan for pain both acute and chronic pain indications in the US both pre- and peri-launch.
- Identify and execute innovative HEOR solutions that are necessary to support access and reimbursement in the US and Canada.
- Develop external customer-facing value demonstration tools that meet regulatory standards and train and certify appropriate field teams (e.g., field HEOR, payer team) for effective delivery
- Work closely with global HEOR team to inform evidence generation and publication plans from the US and Canadian perspective and to ensure timely translation of HEOR studies for external value communication to customers
- Occasionally engage directly with external customers (e.g., payer accounts, health systems, hospitals, policymakers) to discuss HEOR data and represent Vertex as needed to achieve business objectives
- Lead and execute collaborative research with US and Canadian external customer entities (e.g., payers, health systems) in a compliant manner
- Advanced degree (e.g. PhD, MD, MPH, or PharmD) in a scientific discipline. A clinical degree must be supplemented with advanced training in a HEOR-related discipline (e.g., MPH/MS, PhD, HEOR fellowship).
- Minimum of 10 years of combined experience in health economics and outcomes research, with at least 5 years of pharmaceutical industry experience.
- US launch experience required.
- Demonstrated capabilities in interpreting and applying the 2018 FDA Payor Guidance to payer communication in the US.
- Robust understanding of the HTA process and methodology; hands-on experience with HTA dossier submission and review is preferred.
- A track record of peer-reviewed publications demonstrating experience in COAs, observational research, and/or health economic modeling
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to effectively present to both internal and external audiences
- Results oriented and excellent analytic and project management skills
- A strong sense of urgency and commitment to patients
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.