Analytical Development Scientist - GC Method Development
Vertex is seeking a scientist to join our Analytical Development group in Boston, MA. As a member of the Gas Chromatography (GC) method development subject matter expert (SME) team, this individual will play a central role in advancing transformative medicines treating the underlying cause of serious diseases by leading analytical chemistry method development activities for small molecule programs spanning preclinical through to late-stage development. Team responsibilities include development of all GC methods required for Drug Substance and Drug Product Intermediates across all Vertex clinical programs, utilizing tools to identify the most robust operating space as well as contributing scientifically to the resolution of broader drug development challenges in collaboration with other R&D functions. Expertise in chromatography, specifically GC, with various sample injection types (direct injection and headspace) and detectors (FID, TCD, MS) is required. Experience with chiral method development and method validations preferred. Hands-on experimental work is expected, as is the ability to work both independently and in a matrix team environment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as subject matter expert for gas chromatography method development with a high degree of reliability, independence, and attention to detail. Utilizes software tools to model experimental design space and identify a robust operating region
- Maintains accurate records of experiments and results in a laboratory notebook and authors reports as assigned
- Interfaces with project teams to define analytical method target profiles and validation strategies to support clinical release and stability
- Acts as a resource for investigations and events related to method performance
- Develops and review source documents for regulatory submissions
- Presents to cross functional teams and effectively communicates critical issues and solutions to colleagues at all levels within the organization
- Troubleshoots and maintains general lab equipment, including GCs
Knowledge and Skills:
- Background in, or deep understanding of chromatography, including GC, is essential
- The ability to work successfully in both a team/matrix environment as well as independently is essential
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage priorities, and maintain timelines for multiple projects is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as demonstrated by symposia presentations and research publications in peer reviewed journals
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. with 0-3 years, Master’s with 3+ years or Bachelors with 6+ years of relevant experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.