Scientist, Engineering & Material Sciences
The Materials Science Scientist will support Vertex's drug development programs by applying conceptual knowledge in own area to understand various relationships between fundamental materials properties, pharmaceutical processing conditions, and final product performance and quality attributes. The role will have a proven track record of applying conceptual knowledge of materials science and engineering principles for own work and will demonstrate broadening knowledge of one or more relevant areas of solid state or engineering expertise.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and execution of automated solid form screening examining solubility, crystallization, stable polymorph identification, and salt/cocrystal formation for drug substances, starting materials, and intermediates
- Design, validate, and implement advanced characterization techniques and predictive models in area(s) of specialization
- Develop an understanding of physiochemical and biopharmaceutical properties of drug substances and design and conduct in vitro and/or in vivo studies that assist in drug discovery and formulation development
- Design and execute experiments independently
- Troubleshoot a range of materials issues at the bench and apply corrective measures
- Document experiment and results in laboratory notebooks in a timely fashion and in sufficient detail for replication
- Collate and interpret data systematically, and compile results into clear conclusions or recommendations to guide project decisions
- Explore the application of novel scientific and engineering approaches to problem solving in the portfolio
- Participate in department/group discussions
- Search for opportunities to broaden impact within EMS and Pharm Science
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong, independent experimentalist
- Exhibits strong chemical/materials engineering and materials science principles
- Ability to identify materials and engineering issues independently
- Highly effective team skills
- Proven productivity and experimental creativity
- Effective communication skills with no guidance
- Independently prepares presentations/reports and presents experimental data, conclusions and recommendations
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Chemical or Materials engineering or related Materials Science/Chemistry discipline
- PhD in Chemical or Materials engineering or related Materials Science/Chemistry discipline with 0-3 years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience with other degree levels
- Master's degree in Chemical or Materials engineering or related Materials Science/Chemistry discipline with 3+ years of experience
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical or Materials engineering or related Materials Science/Chemistry discipline with 6+ years of experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.