MBA 2024 Summer Associate - Commercial Operations
The Vertex MBA Summer Associate Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our internship program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are fearless" is in everything we do. Each summer, top MBA candidates from business schools around the world find all this and more through our MBA Internship program – a 10-week opportunity designed to provide hands-on work experience in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
To qualify for our MBA Summer Associate program, candidates should be enrolled in an accredited business school program and have four to six years of work experience prior to their MBA program. Functional areas in which we typically have opportunities for our MBA Internships include:
Functional Areas (example projects from prior years):
Global Insights, Analytics, and Commercial Operations (GIACO):
- The Global Insights Analytics & Commercial Operations (GIACO) organization within Commercial provides many critical functions key to the success of the business. The intern will focus on projects from one of the following areas:
- Marketing Science: Scope, design and execute primary marketing research and/or RWD analytics to generate actionable insights that drive a key decision for the marketing team.
- Forecasting and Analytics: Provide forecasting and analytical support for Vertex CF and pipeline programs, cross-functionally track and communicate business performance, and create performance “dashboards” and visualization tools.
Global Commercial Strategy:
- The Global Heme Marketing Intern will be finalizing launch materials and processes in preparation for the potential regulatory approval of exa-celfor sickle cell disease (SCD) and transfusion-dependent beta-thalassemia (TDT).
- The goal of this internship is to provide an opportunity to shape and influence how we deliver launch materials and processes to the US and International Heme Business Units. The role will balance both strategy and execution, provide an opportunity to work directly with various members of the cross-functional Global Commercial Team (GCT) and expose the individual to processes needed to support the launch of a cell and gene therapy (CGT).
- The experience will also introduce the individual to potential career pathways at Vertex and offer ample opportunities for cross-functional collaboration, networking and career development.
- The US Cystic Fibrosis Marketing Intern will lead critical components of a new marketing campaign targeting patients and caregivers who are currently taking or considering starting treatment with Vertex’s flagship Cystic Fibrosis (CF) therapy, TRIKAFTA.
- The goal of this internship is to provide an opportunity to shape and influence how we deliver marketing communications in a rapidly changing CF market. The role will balance both strategy and execution, provide an opportunity to work directly with a creative agency and expose the individual to core marketing concepts within the biotech industry. The experience will also introduce the individual to potential career pathways at Vertex and offer ample opportunities for networking and career development.
Guidance & Patient Support (GPS):
- Guidance and Patient Support (GPS) provides direct support to CF patients in the United States. The team supports patients in getting access to their Vertex medications, maintaining adherence, and having a seamless and positive experience.
- GPS includes a team of ~100 Patient Support Specialists (PSS), plus several teams that support the operations, systems, analytics, and communications to work in conjunction with PSSs to support patients.
- The GPS MBA intern that will partner cross-functionally within GPS, as well as GPS partners in the Data Strategy and Solutions (DSS) team, to support the rollout of an algorithm-enabled patient outreach prioritization tool and progression of a proposed recommendation engine. The team is planning for initial roll out of this new tool to the team spring 2023.
Health Economics & Outcomes Research:
- Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) is a discipline used to establish product value in an objective and methodological way to help guide healthcare decision making.
- As a Vertex HEOR intern, you will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our internship program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are fearless" is in everything we do. At the end of internship, you will develop a broad understanding of how HEOR fits into the value-based healthcare landscape.
Innovation & Digital Strategy, Managed Markets, Manufacturing & Supply Chain
New Product Planning:
- The North America New Product Planning team within Commercial leads development and execution of marketing strategy for pipeline assets in the US & Canada. The intern will focus on projects from the following areas, providing a multifaceted internship experience.
- Pipeline Go-To-Market Model Innovation: Identify market trends impacting customer engagement and evaluate innovative customer-facing solutions or external partnerships for pipeline assets, including design of a pilot program
- Roadmap to Launch for T1D and AMKD: Develop framework and build cross-functional, commercial US launch plans for the type-1 diabetes (T1D) program and APOL-1 mediated kidney disease program (AMKD)
Pricing & Reimbursement:
- The Global Pricing and Market Access (GPMA) team is at the forefront one of the most exciting and most debated areas of healthcare today: drug pricing and global access to pharmaceuticals.
- The Pipeline team within GPMA co-leads Commercial planning for our pipeline assets, including development of payer strategies and informing development plans that increase the likelihood of reimbursement and maximize asset value.
• Exposure to challenging, business-critical projects
• Opportunities for networking and professional development sessions throughout the summer
• Experience presenting project findings to senior management
• Attendance at career development panels and “Lunch and Learn” speaker series
Our MBA Summer Associate program is a talent pipeline for full-time opportunities. High-performing MBA candidates are typically offered full-time opportunities upon completion of their MBA program.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.