Senior Research Scientist, Cell Therapy Analytical Development
- Vertex pharmaceuticals is seeking a senior research scientist to join our analytical development, cell and gene therapy team. This position is expected to serve as a key technical lead in building and expanding our biophysical characterization capabilities. Extensive hands-on experience in spectroscopy in biophysical characterization and protein aggregation characterization is desired. The individual in this role will collaborate closely with research, process development, manufacturing, regulatory and quality to develop and innovate Vertex next generation cell and gene therapy products.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strong hands-on expertise in aggregate and particle analysis of biologics products.
- Provide strong expertise in biophysical characterization techniques & instrumentations, such as SEC-MALS, CD, DSC/DSF, FT-IR, AUC, DLS, Raman, in-silico modeling for biologics characterizations.
- Strong expertise in bio-separation method development for biologics.
- Strong expertise in experimental design, data analysis, assay trouble shooting, technical report writing and presentations.
- Author analytical method, qualification and validation reports
- Collaborate with research and process development teams to develop fit for purpose analytical characterization methods for target optimization, product characterization and product investigations.
- Collaborate with quality to develop and qualify analytical methods for product release and stability.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding of analytical development for biological products (cells, proteins, genetic therapy).
- Conversant in the regulatory guidance for specific types of biological products.
- Advanced analysis skills to allow understanding of experimental data and the ability to use information gained to inform method and program decisions.
- Skilled in efficient study design and demonstrated expertise in writing SOPs, analytical protocols and reports.
- Ability to multi-task as necessary, managing competing priorities and advancing multiple projects within required timelines.
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to reach out across teams to accomplish program goals.
- Experience leading teams to achieve analytical goals.
- Demonstrates advanced judgment balancing technical feasibility, opportunity, and impact.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally to improve communication and make organizational processes more efficient.
Education and Experience:
- Typically requires the following, or the equivalent combination of education and experience: PhD and 2+ years, or Master's and 5+ years, or Bachelor's and 8+ years relevant experience in biopharmaceutical industry
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.