Lab Operations Senior Specialist (Research Technology)
Lab Operations is looking for a talented, proactive individual to lead efforts to define, implement, maintain, and improve a robust, scalable, and state of the art research environment. Lab Operations is tasked with providing vision and leadership on cross-functional initiatives that bring novel technology to our labs. Part of that mission encompasses the implementation and improvement of our lab processes and working with partners across the organization to realize that vision.
Lead efforts to define, implement, maintain, and improve a robust, scalable, and state of the art research environment, to support scientists and scientific innovation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive adaption of new technology platforms and further implementation of current technology platforms across San Diego research site
- Implement solutions to ‘democratize’ operational data across all stake-holders
- Operate as interface between scientist, engineers and programmers on implementation of new technology platforms and improved utilization of current platforms
- Develop processes to support implementation of new technology (for example: registration of consumables and reagents and inventory of cold storage for use in Electronic Lab Notebooks)
- Present ideas to site leadership and build consensus to initiate cross-functional projects
- Independently solves problems of moderate complexity and scope, and able to break complex process into simple steps to opportunities for simplification
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage priorities, and maintain timelines for multiple activities
- Excellent written, organizational and interpersonal communication skills necessary to collaborate and interface with outside vendors, consultants, and internal team members; ability to collect input from multiple sources and condense that into a path forward with the highest impact
- Ability to develop and execute plans against overall project goals and identify key issues for senior level review
- Demonstrates awareness of other development disciplines and an understanding of general concepts and some experimental detail within those areas
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications required (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint)
- Committed team player and collaborator with excellent organizational and project management skills
- Experience with electronic lab notebook (DotMatics, Signals, Benchling, etc.)
- Experience with prototyping for application integration (Jupyter Notebook, Postman, SQL, Python, etc.)
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors of science degree in related field
- Minimum of 2 years of related industry experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven track record of deploying new technologies and process improvements in the Bio-Tech industry
Salary range: $93,280 - $139,920 annually
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.