Senior Manager, Learning Lab & STEAM Education
We are looking for a skilled educator and facilitator to inspire the next generation of scientists by leading the Vertex Learning Lab in San Diego. In this role, you will serve as the day-to-day teacher for student visits and all Learning Lab programs. You will also work with the wider Vertex and San Diego educational communities to shape the curriculum and programs offered in the San Diego Learning Lab.
About the Vertex Learning Labs and Vertex’s STEAM Education Strategy
Our Learning Labs are dedicated spaces at our research sites in Boston, San Diego and Oxford that provide a place for hands-on learning opportunities for students in our communities. Students conduct experiments using cutting-edge technologies alongside our scientists. The Learning Labs are the heart of our STEAM education programs. Our first Learning Lab opened in Boston in 2014. In 2018, we opened a second Learning Lab in our San Diego facility. The most recent Learning Lab was established at our Oxford research site in 2020.
In 2017, we made a 10-year, $50 million commitment to expand science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) education in Boston, San Diego and Oxford. Our programs are designed to show young people, from backgrounds under-represented in STEM careers, just how fun and exciting a career in STEM/biotech can be, and provide them with hands-on learning opportunities, mentorship, and support to explore these concepts in the real world.
Our Approach to our STEAM Education Initiatives
- Inspire the next generation to love science and appreciate its positive influence on society
- Support young women and under-resourced students as they pursue STEAM fields and help them succeed
- Maximize community impact by partnering with local leaders, educators, and institutions to advance science education
- Provide Vertex employees opportunities to share their experiences and their passion by serving as mentors and teachers
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching & curriculum development
- Facilitate student visits and manage the quality of student instruction/programming
- Partner closely with wider Vertex team including research scientists, employee resource groups and other Vertex Volunteers to create best in class educational experiences for visiting students
- Develop new Learning Lab activities with the global and local Learning Lab teams
Managing the local Learning Lab & team
- Manage the daily operations of the San Diego Learning Lab
- Mentor the Vertex Researcher in Residence and Learning Lab volunteers
- Oversee and develop the Learning Lab team including the Learning Lab specialist and college intern
Community partnership & relationship building
- Manage partner school relationships at district, school leader and teacher level
- Organize Vertex participation in community outreach events such as the San Diego Festival of Science and Engineering
- Internally and externally represent the Learning Lab and Vertex’s STEAM initiatives
- Partner and collaborate with local non-profit and community organizations in collaboration with the wider Community Affairs team
- Direct the class visit and summer high school internship programs
- Create and implement teacher professional development opportunities
- Manage Vertex Science Leaders Scholarship program
- Oversee the collection of data that assess the impact of Vertex STEAM outreach programs
- Serve as a member of the Global STEAM Leadership Team to coordinate and align Vertex STEAM efforts
Knowledge and Skills:
- Passion for working with young people and an ability to translate complex scientific information to a school-aged audience with varying degrees of scientific knowledge
- Commitment to increasing opportunities in the STEM field for historically underrepresented groups, practicing authentic inclusion, diversity and equity practices and cultivating a culture where all stakeholders succeed and feel heard
- Strong initiative and work ethic; accountable for delivering results with little oversight
- Ability to organize, collaborate, multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced and matrixed environment; problem solve while meeting aggressive timelines
- Strong leadership skills as an educator and manager of a team
- Capable of working in teams and mentoring others
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field.
- 6+ years of science driven teaching experience and/or working with youth
- Experience working in a matrixed environment
- Experience working in or with biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies
- Experience building and managing community partnerships
Salary range: $128,000 - $192,000 annually
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.