Chemical Engineering Senior Principal Scientist
Vertex is seeking a talented individual to join the Engineering and Materials Science group in Boston, MA. As a Chemical Engineering Senior Principal Scientist, you will support our small-molecule programs in mid and late stage development through your work in our research labs as well as performing technology transfers to our external manufacturing partners. You will be a valued member of a high performing cross-functional team comprised of other chemical engineers, organic & analytical chemists, and material scientists focused on generating and applying innovative solutions to advance our future medicines through the clinic with robust manufacturing processes. In this role you will have the opportunity to plan and execute experimental studies, identify project challenges, and contribute to the overall drug development strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and performs sophisticated and complex, technically challenging experiments that impact the achievement of department and critical project goals
- Generates effective hypotheses to pursue project goals, encourages the use of new experimental approaches and/or data analyses methods
- Identifies opportunities and approaches for application of advanced data science and data visualization tools
- Develops novel and creative solutions using their specialized depth in scientific discipline to overcome obstacles; advises other team members on novel and creative solutions
- Oversees conception, implementation, and lifecycle management of novel digital solutions to new and existing experimental and business workflows.
- Performs advanced, complex experimental troubleshooting and methods development, and advises and mentors other team members on projects outside of their own
- Makes substantive contributions that impact the achievement of critical project activities and scientific strategies within discipline
- “Imports” new principles/concepts from other fields to establish new progress
- May generate external peer reviewed materials
- Provides in-depth technical advice and develops theoretical premise for issues within own field/discipline, and often occupies a key or pivotal formal or informal Project role
- Is an active and visible change agent, fostering a flexible and open mindset to new opportunities, and increasing digital competencies within the organization
- May manage CRO/CMO contracts or external collaborative research
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills:
- Specialized depth of knowledge and methods in chemistry, chemical engineering, data science, applied statistics and knowledge-based learning tools
- Ability to consistently advise/mentor others to execute technically challenging, complex experiments that directly impact projects and programs within discipline
- Ability to consistently identify and leverage new, productive paths/approaches in experiments
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to impact and advance projects through scientific creativity and insights
- Experienced in fostering an innovative mindset and employing tools which encourage human-centered design and design thinking
- Assigned to the more challenging or higher-value project tasks/problems
- Strong project leadership and interpersonal communication skills and a track record of delivering solutions across a diverse scientific ecosystem
- Working experience developing and deploying analytics, data science, and data visualization solutions
- Often will have demonstrated outstanding determination and/or persistence in supporting project(s)
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively write advanced technical documents, and ability to persuade others presenting technical/scientific concepts to diverse audiences
- Values team work and collaboration to solve problems and design strategies
Education and Experience:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering (or related field) and 6+ years experience
- Master's Degree and 9+ years, or Bachelor's Degree and 11+ years of related experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.