Senior Director Market Access, UK and Ireland
- Reporting to the Country Manager, and with a dotted reporting line to the International Pricing & Market Access team, the Market Access Head will be responsible for the execution of Vertex’s Market Access strategies and key tactics to support access to Vertex’s products.
- This individual will develop and coordinate the market access strategies and relationships with market access consultants (if needed) to promote rapid uptake access to Vertex products.
- This position will develop market access materials (submissions, responses) for Vertex medicines leading up to and during their launch with a particular emphasis on leading the adaptation of global value dossiers and economic models to meet country-specific health technology assessment (HTA) requirements and presenting these to authorities.
- This role will report to the Country Manager and will work closely with International colleagues to support best-in-class reimbursement negotiations and market access excellence. It will collaborate extensively with country-based colleagues to support reimbursement negotiation processes.
- Collaborate with country colleagues and external consultants to prepare reimbursement submissions, develop country-specific economic models and present economic evidence to payers.
- Adapt and implement the global value story, reimbursement negotiation guide, payer objection handler, and other evidence-based materials that demonstrate product value in a manner that is meaningful to country payers.
- Support the development of local price and reimbursement negotiation strategies through continued collaboration with country and international-based colleagues; manage payer negotiations; directly engage with and manage stakeholders.
- Understand payer value drivers and payer segmentation, understand the funding flow for the country, map willingness and ability to pay, create a compelling payer value story, create a pricing business case for internal price decisions.
- Accountable for all activities related to robust pricing management, including but not limited to understanding and managing channel pricing, gross to net, procurement processes and planning and tendering execution, where applicable; create innovative offers and access programmes.
- Lead all activities pertaining to value evidence and data generation and management for the country(ies), including but not limited to managing the HTA process, planning the data generation strategy, using health economics, outcomes research and real-world evidence, understanding epidemiology and burden of illness data.
- Make specific recommendations on clinical trial design, label considerations, design of HEOR projects (i.e. patient-reported outcomes, observational studies and economic models) to optimize their role in supporting market access strategies.
- Manages direct reports, with emphasis on delivering results, shaping the future and growing talent.
- The position will work closely with Vertex’s medical affairs, legal, regulatory, market access and commercial teams, building and leveraging relationships with relevant stakeholders in line with Vertex’s approved and agreed business strategy.
- Work closely with legal and regulatory departments to ensure compliance.
- Ability to travel to and spend time in the corporate headquarters office as well as to travel to customer meetings as required.
- Exhibit ownership and accountability for all projects and internal assignments.
- Provide market place feedback in a timely manner to corporate management, on customer business trends, competitive updates and industry issues and opportunities.
- Exemplify Vertex’s core values in fulfilling these job duties.
- Bachelors and/or advanced degree in one or more of the following areas: health economics, public health, epidemiology/ biostatistics, medicine, engineering, business administration, law, government or public policy from an accredited university required
Skills & Experience
- Pharmaceutical/healthcare industry experience with experience in market access/health economic outcomes research, and government affairs experience.
- Significant country market access experience is required.
- In-depth and current understanding of international and country payer environment, including reimbursement decision-making processes, pricing and contracting strategies, and HTA processes.
- Experience in developing and/or adapting global economic models to meet country-specific HTA requirements.
- Strong analytical skills with the proven ability to effectively analyse data sets to determine trends and establish strategies.
- Proven track record of in-country price negotiations.
- Prior experience in a regional or global market access role.
- Strategic ability, as evidenced by an awareness of the "big picture" strategic issues facing the business overall both in the short and long term; ability to see local competitive positioning relative to global and international strategy; strong analytical ability; and an ability to deal with ambiguity, uncertainty and complexity.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and ability to develop and willingness to pilot creative solutions to complex problems.
- Display solid ethics and fully comply with all regulatory, legal and industry codes of conduct.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to complete projects and achieve goals on time while delivering high quality results.
- Outstanding customer relationship, interpersonal, and communication skills with the established ability to effectively work with diverse audiences and influence cross functionally.
- Excellent communication skills, strong oral/written presentation skills.
- Experience of budget and cost centre management.
- Desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.