Director - Commercial Operations, Packaging Engineering (Hybrid)
The Director Packaging Commercial Operations leads and directs a global team of packaging engineers that support Vertex’s mission to create new possibilities in medicine to cure diseases and improve people's lives.
This Director has broad responsibility for commercial packaging operations supporting our ongoing commercial packaging, overseeing activities of staff, and adapting personnel deployment to changing priorities. The Director champions continuous improvement of activities and relationships within and outside Vertex. The Director takes a leadership role in company-wide initiatives and guides resolution of critical issues impacting manufacturing operations.
This is a Boston based, hybrid position (3 days/week onsite).
- Proactively develops strategies that address business needs and directs global line activities including project risk mitigation
- Clarifies points of ambiguity to stabilize the team during project challenges and builds collective support
- Works closely within the department and partner network to align packaging platforms, development workflows, and operational efficiencies
- Developing and maintaining packaging and sustainability standards
- May represent the department on corporate and strategic teams (e.g., supplier partnerships, program teams)
- Provides leadership to resolve critical issues impacting manufacturing operations in collaboration with relevant stakeholders
- Designs and implements functional/department goals and participates in setting goals for the overall division
- Helps define the technical direction of department and influences support of technological innovation and creativity
- Defines strategy and champions effective ongoing continuous improvement of manufacturing operations
- Expert knowledge of GMPs and associated CMC regulatory considerations in a pharmaceutical environment
- Proven ability to lead and manage projects of high complexity including the development of and adherence to timelines and budget
- Influences key stakeholders on the project team to successfully achieve project/program objectives
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Fosters a team environment of confidence and commitment and models the core values throughout the organization
- Proven supervisory experience and track record of enabling career development of staff
Education and Experience:
- Typically requires Degree in Packaging, Biomedical, Mechanical, Chemical, or Industrial Engineering or a related field and 10+ years of experience or the equivalent combination of advanced education and experience including 3 years of leadership
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.