Principal Research Associate, Histology and Imaging Core Lab
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. As a Principal Research Associate, Histology and Imaging Core Lab, you will report to the Executive Director of Toxicology and Pathology. You are expected to have hands-on experience in basic digital imaging and image analysis using any of the proprietary software modules (E.g., Halo, Image J/FIJI, QUPATH, VisioPharm, Definiens). Key responsibilities of the role include scanning histology slides; archiving of images; and analyzing and presenting data from histology scans. You should be familiar with digital whole slide scanners, data archiving and management. In addition, you are expected to have basic knowledge related to tissue trimming, processing, staining procedures, and day to day operations of a histology lab. Experience in molecular histology techniques (IHC/ISH staining) is also a bonus. You will work independently with minimal supervision and assist the Histology Core Manager to meet project goals.
What you’ll do
- Under the general direction of the Histology Core Manager and the ED of Pathology, you will provide image analysis (digital pathology) support to meet project and company goals. Core competencies include acquisition and analysis of histology images using slide scanners and morphometric analysis of histology data using software modules
- You are expected to have basic experience in tissue processing techniques, follow established protocols and focus on histological techniques including:
- Standard and special histochemical stains (H&E, PAS, Trichrome, etc)
- Manual and automated immunohistochemistry (IHC) and in situ hybridization
- Knowledge of histology core lab operations (equipment operations, maintenance, troubleshooting)
- Experience with tissue collection from laboratory animal studies
- You will work in a collaborative manner with the Histology Core Manager to maintain equipment, develop and qualify new, innovative staining techniques
- Effectively communicate and present learnings to a diverse audience. Train fellow scientists on the new digital pathology and workflow automation tools and write SOPs
What we’re looking for
- BS in Biology, Bioinformatics, or Statistics
- Strong skill set in digital imaging and image analysis
- Hands-on experience with imaging software modules
- Experience with routine histology stains and routine operations of a histology lab
- Ability to multi-task and work cross-functionally with team members and team environments
- Effective communicator both verbally and in writing
- Excellent organizational skills required to manage multiple studies at different phases in parallel and track work and projects to meet timeline demands
- Must be proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc)
What will separate you from the crowd
- Bachelor’s with HT or HTL certification and 5 years of lab experience
- HT or HTL certification and/or basic knowledge in histology lab activities
- Experience with trimming and processing tissues samples for routine histology endpoints
- Knowledge of the design and conduct of laboratory animal studies.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to interact and work with internal project scientists, external contract labs and Study Directors
- Experience with special staining techniques (ISH/IHC)
What you should know
- The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $98,000 and $118,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off (various paid time off benefits, such as holidays, vacation, sick time, and parental leave), short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually. For more details on our benefits, visit Sana’s Benefits Portal.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.