Senior Director, Product Design
One Medical is a primary care solution challenging the industry status quo by making quality care more affordable, accessible and enjoyable. But this isn’t your average doctor’s office. We’re on a mission to transform healthcare, which means improving the experience for everyone involved - from patients and providers to employers and health networks. Our seamless in-office and 24/7 virtual care services, on-site labs, and programs for preventive care, chronic care management, common illnesses and mental health concerns have been delighting people for the past fifteen years.
In February 2023 we marked a milestone when One Medical joined Amazon. Together, we look to deliver exceptional health care to more consumers, employers, care team members, and health networks to achieve better health outcomes. As we continue to grow and seek to impact more lives, we’re building a diverse, driven and empathetic team, while working hard to cultivate an environment where everyone can thrive.
At One Medical we build software that our members and providers use to deliver better care outcomes. This enables us to build amazing end-to-end solutions to connect patients and our care team in new and innovative ways. Our design team is responsible for designing the proprietary Electronic Health Record System that our healthcare providers use as well as our practice management tools used by our operations and clinical teams. They’re also responsible for the design of all of our member-facing web and mobile applications.
As Senior Director of Product Design, you will be responsible for all aspects of product design and user experience (UX) research within our Clinical team Experience, reporting and partnering with our VP of Product Design and Research. You will work closely with leaders from across the organization to define the future of product design and research at One Medical, collaborating on a thoughtful long-term vision and strategy for the organization. You will inspire the company inside and outside of the technology organization to take a holistic approach to designing excellent experiences for our members across the digital and physical touch points - and you help ensure that we are consistently tracking our success in delivering excellence and prioritizing improvements, as needed.
As a seasoned people leader, you’ll support the managers who lead our One Medical internal user-facing design teams as they work to grow and develop the ICs and managers on their teams. You plan for the future of the team thinking about what new capabilities will best support the organization going forward and you work with the technology and company leadership to get buy-in. You pay close attention to the happiness, productivity, and design quality of the team and work relentlessly to address any issues.
What you’ll likely work on:
- Growing, leading, and coaching a world-class team of design leaders/managers, product designers, and UX researchers and collaborating on a cross functional team culture that fosters creativity and excellence in design execution.
- Bringing to life a vision for user-centered opportunities that drive business objectives.
- Working with leadership to ensure adequate staffing for design, research, and other relevant disciplines to enable the delivery of products that solve real user needs and delight our users.
- In close collaboration with cross-functional leaders, facilitate vision setting for the product organization by driving needs finding, ideation, creative execution, and definition of success metrics.
- Collaborating with technology, product development, clinical and operational leaders to instill a culture of product excellence for the company while managing multiple stakeholders focused on different outcomes.
- 12+ years of relevant experience working in user experience roles with in-house agile engineering and product management teams taking features from idea to launch.
- 7+ years in a people manager role managing design and/or multidisciplinary UX organizations of at least 10 people including experience managing managers.
- Strong focus on and demonstrated success in career development for your direct reports.
- Experience leading teams to deliver UX outcomes across multiple platforms or a variety of product experiences.
- Case studies that illustrate how you've crafted a vision that your team has brought to life.
- Examples of design process that have influenced positive organizational outcomes
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with a demonstrated ability to influence within and outside your organization.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and have a track record of working through complex systems, navigating data and regulations and enthusiastic about tackling some of the toughest problems in healthcare.
Not required, but would be great if you also had:
- Experience with healthcare or other regulated industries.
- Experience with both B2B and consumer products and two-sided platforms.
- Experience growing design/UX teams in growth-stage companies.
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary UX teams (e.g., UX/UI design, visual design, UX research, content strategy/UX writing).
- Experience leading geographically distributed teams.
Benefits designed to aid your health and wellness:
Taking care of you today
- Paid sabbatical after 5 and 10 years
- Employee Assistance Program - Free confidential advice for team members who need help with stress, anxiety, financial planning, and legal issues
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Free One Medical memberships for yourself, your friends and family
- Pre-Tax commuter benefits
- PTO cash outs - Option to cash out up to 40 accrued hours per year
Protecting your future for you and your family
- 401K match
- Opportunity to participate in company equity programs
- Credit towards emergency childcare
- Company paid maternity and paternity leave
- Paid Life Insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Basic Life Insurance
- Disability insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
This is a full-time role based anywhere in the United States.
The base salary range for this role is $175,000 to $290,000**. Total compensation packages may be based on factors unique to particular candidates, such skill sets, depth of experience, and work location. The total compensation package for this position may also include annual performance bonus, RSUs, and/or benefits.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants of every background, ability, and life experience to contact us about appropriate employment opportunities.
One Medical participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. Please refer to the E-Verification Poster (English/Spanish) and Right to Work Poster (English/Spanish) for additional information.