Automation Engineer II/III
Beam is looking for a highly energetic Automation Engineer II/III with GMP manufacturing experience focused on design, installation, configuration, maintenance support, and validation of automation and plant control systems. The candidate will be a core team member for the Engineering and Facilities team building the new multi-modality site in Durham / RTP, NC to support Beam Therapeutics future manufacturing demand. This is a fantastic opportunity to build from the ground up. The successful candidate will show initiative in helping with the development of Beam’s automation strategy, standards, and design criterion to support both commissioned and validated systems for clinical and commercial manufacturing of the current cell and gene therapy manufacturing modality platforms. They will provide technical expertise and assistance in execution of Capital Improvement and Compliance projects. The ideal candidate will be an emerging Engineering talent with supporting manufacturing, process development, and facilities/maintenance and executing projects. They will also possess the ability to successfully interface with multidisciplinary teams building strong cross functional relationships and engage and collaborate with external partners in process development, manufacturing operations, quality, validation, and finance.
- Cultivate Beam’s culture and our values-driven organization focused on our people.
- Ensure safety, quality, compliance, efficiency, and sustainability throughout our engineering, automation, and cGMP operations.
- Provide ongoing support, maintenance, and continuous improvement for Automation systems (BAS/PCS/OSI PI/MES).
- As part of engineering team, further develop and execute the long-range Automation and MES strategy.
- Develop and Maintain Requirement Specifications, Functional Specifications, Design Specifications, and Guidelines for new and existing control systems.
- Assist in the development and execution of Automation Capital Engineering projects for facility, operational, site, and process improvement projects.
- Ensure compliant operations in accordance with site registrations, cGMP, environmental regulations, and federal / state requirements.
- Proactively analyzes engineering and facility issues and coordinates potential resolutions with the team.
- BS degree in a technical discipline (Engineering preferred) with a minimum of 5-8 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical / medical device manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge and foundational understanding of production and utility automation, instrumentation, and control equipment encountered as part of GMP facilities construction, operations, and maintenance.
- Experience in Emerson DeltaV DCS, Siemens Desigo BMS and/or Aveva OSI PI DMS (preferred).
- Knowledge of GMP reporting, batch record generation, reports from data historian / historical data, and support of deviation or CAPA investigations (preferred).
- Capital project, start-up, and manufacturing support experience.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate within cross-functional teams and to management.
- Ability to manage commitments for self while displaying an eagerness to learn and continuously improve.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and manage various priorities and timelines and to adapt quickly to changing circumstances.
- High degree of customer focus (internal/external) and demonstrated collaboration in a team environment.
- Results oriented with the ability to demonstrate resiliency, ownership, and drive.